Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Standing Alone. Asra Nomani

Islam in America

When reading Standing Alone in Mecca: An American Woman's struggle for the Soul of Islam, I often thought about what Islam was like in America. I can imagine the obvious, that Americans are very cautious around those of the Muslim faith in America.

I think that many Americans believe that all Muslims are foreigners, which isn't true. There are a lot of Muslims living in America. I actually have a twin sister, an anthropology major, who visited a Muslim community in Michigan. I thought it was really cool that she was able to go there and get to understand a little more of the Islamic faith/culture.

I was also able to learn a little about the Muslim faith/culture from a Muslim international. He was very peaceful although I don't believe he was able to understand American culture very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment