Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Asra Nomani

Asra Nomani and...Standing Alone: An American Woman's Struggle for the Soul of Islam
 
Asra Nomani received outstanding controversy to one of her books called Tantrika,  which was about her experience when researching about a Tantric sex phenomenon. Tantric is a term, from Tantra, that refers to a religious ritual/meditation of a human body in a sexual way.
 
In Standing Alone in Mecca: An American Woman's Struggle for the Soul of Islam, Asra Nomani talks about her pilgrimage. She also discusses about the rights of Women in the muslim world. Before I actually talk about the book, I wanted to talk about Asra Nomani and do research on her to understand her more.
 
 
Asra Nomani was born into a Muslim family and actually grew up in Morgantown, West Virginia. I actually found it interesting that she graduated college with a degree in liberal studies which is very similar to what I am doing with my own Professional Studies major. She also earned her her Master's in International Communication which is similar to what I want to do with my life by going to South Korea after I graduate and eventually earn my own masters in either Social Work to work with Biracial children in Asia or Major in Communication to become an interpreter or something of the sort.
 
 
Asra Nomani had a child out of wed-lock and eventually challenged a rule at a Mosque in Morgantown, West Virgina. The way she is able to challenge the people of her own faith allows me to realize how strong she is and she seems to be a very independent woman.
 
I want to be a strong woman like Asra Nomani.

No comments:

Post a Comment